I've been a book worm for pretty much my whole life. I've read many types of books over the course of my life, but currently the sorts of books I enjoy the most are fantasy and science-fiction. I particularly like it if these genre's are mixed with comedy like the style of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. I definitely can enjoy more serious fantasy and science-fiction though. I also enjoy vampire books, but not quite as much as I did when I was younger.

This blog is mainly for my book reviews, but I also post quotes and other random book related things. If you'd like to know more about the books I've read and am planning to read, I'm a member at several different book sites, and links to my profiles are listed under My Pages.



Saturday, April 19, 2014

Reading Goals I'd Like To Make That I Know I Won't Stick With

Over the past year in particular I started really hoarding free indie ebooks, but have only read a couple of them. I snag them when they are free even if I know I'm not going to read them any time soon because why pay for them later when I can get them for free now? It makes me feel a bit guilty though because I know indie authors put their books out for free hoping for good reviews that will help generate sales in the future. Of course I will give an honest review when I've read the book, but the fact is that it could take years before I get to their book.

In general I'm not really reading as much as I'd like to for a variety of reasons. A part of me would like to make it a goal to read at least one indie book per month to alleviate some of the guilt, but I know myself well enough that I probably won't be able to stick to that. It's hard enough for me to get any reading done when I'm just reading whatever I happen to be in the mood for. If the mood strikes me to read an indie book I've downloaded, then fine, but I'm just not sure I see myself going out of my way to make sure I read them just so I won't feel guilty.

Another thing I sort of feel bad about is not really reading many fantasy and sci-fi classics. I'm not really sure why I feel bad about this. I think it might be more to do with feeling I should read them so I'm more well read rather than having any specific craving to read the classics. So I guess it's largely about wanting to be able to say that I have read them and also to not feel so left out when people talk about these books in online book groups. So in addition to reading one indie book per month, a part of me would also really like to commit to reading one classic fantasy or sci-fi book per month.

The big problem is that for me, there's simply not enough time in a month. It would be easy to commit to these goals if I was able to read 5 or more books in a month, but most months I'm lucky if I finish two books. So if I were to commit to these goals, then pretty much all of my reading would be indie and classic books leaving no room for the other stuff I want to read. I suppose I'll just have to accept the fact that as much as I'd like to make and stick to these goals in order to broaden my reading horizons, that it's just not doable for me at this point in my life. I suppose I'll just keep reading whatever I'm in the mood for as I have been and I'll get to the indie and classic books whenever I get to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment